PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler motor dead-Replacement?

Lawyerman
02-20-2007, 11:43 AM
My old Midway tumbler died. The moter just hums but won't vibrate the bowl. Where can I get a replacment motor? Any ideas?

cbrick
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Interesting, the motor hums but is it turning? If the motor is running it sounds like the counter-weight fell off. If so you don't need a motor, just re-attach the weight.

Rick

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I agree with cbrick. Take it apart and see what's actually going on. You may not need a motor at all.

Regards,

Dave

Lawyerman
02-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Well, I'll give it a try. This is a very early Midway tumbler. I sent it back in about 5 years ago and they rewired it and put a new motor on it then- Recall due to fire hazard as I remember it. It has worked like a champ ever since.

Yea, when I click the switch the motor hums but the tumbler does not vibrate at all. I will tear it apart and see what the issue might be. I guess it isn't working right now so I'm not out anything that way. I have a huge quantity of .45 brass that I need to get cleaned up and this has set me back a couple days......

seagiant
02-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi Lawyerman,
Not trying to be cute or anything but if you find this tumbler not worth fixing (or even if you do) buy a Dillon! It will be the last one you'll ever have to pay for!!! Think about it!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi Lawyerman,
Not trying to be cute or anything but if you find this tumbler not worth fixing (or even if you do) buy a Dillon! It will be the last one you'll ever have to pay for!!! Think about it!

Before you go making recommendations about Dillon and their warranties, you might want to know the facts. This is straight off the Dillon Precision website:

"CV-2001 Vibratory Case Cleaner

Dillon's CV-2001 Vibratory Case Cleaner is the largest in the industry. Its 12-1/2 quart bowl capacity will allow you to polish up to 1,300 .38/.357 or 550 .30-06 cases per hour.
Not only is our capacity greater, but our motor is larger in horsepower, internally cooled, thermally protected, and turns on precision ball bearings. This is no "hobby" machine!
The bowl and base are constructed of 7/32" thick injection molded high-strength polypropylene which is impact and abrasion resistant.
NOTE: One-year warranty on the electric motor."

And for their smaller tumbler:

"CV-500 Vibratory Case Cleaner

The only REAL complaint we've ever had about the CV-2001 is: "It's TOO big!" Many of our customers have asked us to come up with a smaller case cleaner, and we've been paying attention!
Dillon's new CV-500 Vibratory Case Cleaner is perfect for reloaders with limited space.
Although scaled down in size, this piece of equipment are every bit as tough as its full-sized counterpart. We used the same materials in its construction and designed it to work just as hard -- and do it in a more compact area!
NOTE: One-year warranty on the electric motor."

One year waranty on the electric motor. No better than Frankford Arsenal brand, but a good bit more expensive at $100 and $165 a pop. I can buy a lot of motors for the difference in price. Actually, I can buy a single industrial grade motor at the local industrial supply for a whopping $15.00 and be good to go for years. AS far as the rest of the parts, the Frankford Arsenal outfit has a warranty to match Dillons. I know, I used it a time or two on other of their stuff I own. Shipped me a whole new one out immediately, no problem.

Regards,

Dave

cbrick
02-20-2007, 06:23 PM
To stick up for Dillon, I went through a couple of extremely loud (neighbor accross the street complained when I used it) Lyman's and an off brand before I got the Dillon many years ago. The Dillon is by far quieter and so far I don't know how long it will last.

Rick

seagiant
02-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi Dave,
Nice to talk to a fellow Georgian. I grew up about 20 miles north of Valdosta on a tobacco farm.... Yea I'm going to recommend Dillon and here's why. A few years ago my first Dillon Tumbler's motor bottom fell completly off. This tumbler was about 10 years old. Also it was the "small one" so I call up and the gentleman says to send it back. OK but I don't have a box to ship it in, the original is long gone. He tells me no problem ones on the way and he sent me an empty box-UPS!!!
I shipped it to them and 5 days later they sent me a brand new tumbler. I also believe if you had a problem today with one and sent it back asking for it to be repaired or replaced that it would not matter what was wrong with it they would stand behind it!
One has to remember,when Dillon came on the reloading scene with his "No-BS Warranty" he turned the industry around and taught some other companys how to maintain a loyal customer base! Just my thoughts!

13Echo
02-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Lawyerman,
My Midway did the same about three years ago. Opened up the bottom and found the motor coil had come loose from the body. Put them back together and used a nylon tie wrap to hold it together and it is still working today. About time to open it up again and see if the nylon tie needs replacing.

Jerry Liles

Mallard57
02-20-2007, 11:40 PM
I thought the Midway tumblers had a lifetime warrantee.
Jeff

Dale53
02-21-2007, 01:40 AM
I have the Dillon large tumbler. It was so noisy running that it really bothered me. An investigation showed that the lid was making the noise. I bought a strip of insulation (self stick foam about 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick). I cleaned the lid good, and stuck the insulation on the inner part of the lid where it contacts the bowl (made a lid gasket). You wouldn't believe how much that quieted the Dillon Vibratory tumbler.

Dale53

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Howdy seagiant,

"Nice to talk to a fellow Georgian. I grew up about 20 miles north of Valdosta on a tobacco farm...."

I'm not from Georgia, I'm from downeast North Carolina, where I grew my own Tarheel from working on tobacco farms.

Yea I'm going to recommend Dillon and here's why. A few years ago my first Dillon Tumbler's motor bottom fell completly off. This tumbler was about 10 years old. Also it was the "small one" so I call up and the gentleman says to send it back. OK but I don't have a box to ship it in, the original is long gone. He tells me no problem ones on the way and he sent me an empty box-UPS!!!
I shipped it to them and 5 days later they sent me a brand new tumbler. I also believe if you had a problem today with one and sent it back asking for it to be repaired or replaced that it would not matter what was wrong with it they would stand behind it!
One has to remember,when Dillon came on the reloading scene with his "No-BS Warranty" he turned the industry around and taught some other companys how to maintain a loyal customer base! Just my thoughts!"

Well, that's mostly all nice sentiment. But from what I've been reading lately on this board and others is folks having to pay for their motors and on other boards I've seen Dillon owners not getting the service on their products as promised. I can post, but would rather not. I personally owned a 550 they never could get straighted out for me. So for all that money they charge and the nickel and diming they do on caliber changes, I hate to say it, but I'm just not impressed.

I own a Midway I bought as a combination with a rotary sifter for 30 bucks back in 1999. It's still going strong. If the motor failed, I can buy an industrial grade motor for 15 bucks or less at the local Industrial Repair outfit. A motor that is better than the one on the Dillon or any other reloading company's. I'm still only out 45 dollars. That means I've kept the other $55.00 it would have cost me to get a Dillon and I don't have to hope they'll honor that warranty when I get a part.

That aside, I broke a plastic Midway inertia puller I paid next to nothing for. I emailed Midway. They emailed me back, asking for my address so they could send me a whole new one. They have a lifetime warranty on their tumblers and I suspect they'll match Dillon's service level, based on my own experience and I don't even have to pay out a hundred bucks for my tumbler.

As far as what Mike Dillon did for the reloading industry, that's true, but if he hadn't done it, someone else would have. You can see that by looking at the automotive industry and what happened when the Japanese got their break during the energy crisis back in the seventies. Competition makes this country a great place to live, because of capitalism.

While it's nice to be loyal to someone, Dillon hasn't improved or upgraded their products in what, 10 years or more now? And don't say they're perfect, because they aren't. Their powder measures leave much to be desired and a reloading press built today should have clean primer disposal built in. Dillon hasn't fixed either of these issues. I understand he's building machine guns for the government, but the company could have and should have hired engineers to modernize their product. So what I'm seeing is Dillon Precision is now becoming like some of the other people they once outdid, by resting on their laurels.

I don't wish Dillon ill, but my loyalty with my money rests with me and my family, not a company. Dillon Precision offered the best product and the best warranty for the money at one time. But they no longer do. Hence, I don't buy Dillon products, because I've found other companies who've met his challenge and made better products, for less money, with a matching or better warranty. That's competition in a capitalist society. Which is the way it should be. If Dillon comes out with new and better stuff for more competitive prices, I'll seriously consider it, but until then, I don't think so.

And one last thought. It's rude as all get out when someone's having a problem with their gear to pop in and suggest they "buy a Dillon." Especially since Dillon products have problems just like any other and buying Dillon doesn't solve anything nor help the guy with the problem with his equipment.

Regards,

Dave

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-21-2007, 01:51 PM
I thought the Midway tumblers had a lifetime warrantee.
Jeff

They do.

cbrick
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
And one last thought. It's rude as all get out when someone's having a problem with their gear to pop in and suggest they "buy a Dillon." Especially since Dillon products have problems just like any other and buying Dillon doesn't solve anything nor help the guy with the problem with his equipment. Regards, Dave

Interesting, I recommended the Dillon tumbler because the one I have has out lasted two much louder Lyman tumblers and an off brand combined.

Am I a die hard Dillon guy? Hardly. I have been handloading most of my life and I have accumulated three pieces of Dillon eqiupment, the tumbler, an electronic scale and the brass primer flipper tray. However, I guess I am just being rude as all get out.

Rick

seagiant
02-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi Dave,
Well I never meant to be rude and hoped I was only skirting around being cute,but that was my opinion and my advice to the mans problem and I guess I'm welcome to that. As far as Dillon goes a lot of years went by waiting on someone like him to show up. I'm a merchant marine and proud of it, but even I understand that if it wasnt for the unions, the companys that I work for would give us hardly anymore than they could get away with!
Reloading equipment is funny as far as people go. I've had issues with Hornady on their L-N-L Auto machine which is their answer to the Dillon 550B and my happiest day with it, was the day I sold it to a guy for what I had paid for it ,used. Other people swear by them and couldn't be happier! Go figure! People use what works for them and like you said, this is because we have choices in this society that was MADE to be that way! Take care!

Sundogg1911
02-22-2007, 02:06 PM
i'm supreised to hear that someone has had problems with Dillon. I have called them several times. I broke one of my powder measures, not because it was defective, but because I screwed up and I told them that. 3 days later I had the parts free of charge. while moving, I lost the pins that hold the toolhead on one of my 550's. Had tem a few days later, free of charge. every experience that i've had with Dillon has been great! I've also had nothing but great luck with Midway though too. I use a Frankford Arsenal (Midway) Tumbler and have had great luck with it. I don't think someone saying to buy a Dillon is being rude. I think we all post questions on here to get answers and other peoples opinions. I think He has had very good experiences with Dillon like I have, and is stating an opinion. I love my Dillon stuff. I'd never give up my rock chucker, or any of my other brand reloading stuff, but If someone tells me what they think I should buy, I listen and don't take offense even if I dont agree with them. We can't take things so seriously. This is bullet casting, and reloading. It's meant to be fun, and a way to deal with stress, not create it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-22-2007, 06:54 PM
cbrick and seagiant,

Look at it this way. Suppose your out in your driveway working on your car, repairing a failed start motor or a failed power steering pump. The neighbor comes over and the first thing he says is: You shoulda/oughta buy a __________ (insert brand here). I don't know about you, but I sure as heck wouldn't appreciate it.

If I'd expressed I was tired of the car and wanted to replace it, then fine, a suggestion on replacing it would have been a good thing. But to my view, suggesting someone replace something they've paid for with something else without making any effort to actually answer their question and help them is rude. Your opinon may vary.

What I would appreciate, if it's mine and I'm trying to fix it and I'm sure Lawyerman would appreciate, is someone trying to help me fix my car or in this case, the tumbler I already have paid for.

As far as going through four tumblers and spending a bunch of money, you could have replaced the motor on the first one with a industrial grade motor and had a motor that would have outlasted the Dillon motor.

After all, motors have various service ratings and your local industrial supply house can help you get a motor with a serious service life rating while matching the horsepower and rpm range of the motor you have. All for much less than the Dillon costs.

Finally, you've changed the subject of the post away from helping the guy get his tumbler fixed into "all about Dillon," thereby preventing the guy from getting suggestions about fixing his tumbler.

Sundogg,

There's been several threads on a couple of forums about Dillon service (or lack thereof) I've seen. I'm not willing to post them here. I was suprised there were that many too, but there they were. One that comes to mind is over an ARF.com.

Dave

seagiant
02-22-2007, 09:51 PM
Hi Dave,
Well this is getting enjoyable! Actually if you read the post you're the one that made a deal about Dillon. I 'assumed" that there was no lifetime garrantee from Midway or Lawyerman would not have been here starting this thread asking for help? Sometimes,one is better off cutting their losses and perhaps getting a better item. IE,round filing the busted tumbler and getting a Dillon. That is what was on my mind. If Midway will send him a new tumbler great! He probably shouldn't call them up and ask them to UPS him an empty box to ship it back to them though!!!

j4570
02-22-2007, 10:20 PM
I have a Dillon 550B and I do like it, it perfroms well for me.

However, one item I am not pleased with is their universal decap die. I bought it because I broke my Lyman after many thousands of rounds of crimped military. The Dillon bent a pin rather quickly with S&B Boxer primed crimped ammo. I called to get a replacement, guess what, no warrantied, and I was basically accused of being a liar because they were sure I tried to decap Berdan Brass. I bought two pins (at $2.99 each) and bent another one in short order. Well, that's a no good item. Ordered an RCBS die, and finished all those S&B (probably 180 plus remaining) without a hitch. The Lyman had a solid once decap pin so I couldn't replace it (from Lyman I guess). The RCBS uses standards pins, $2 for 5 pins.

So, I won't buy a die set of theirs either, uses the same style pins.

It should be changed to "a little BS" warranty.

I even tried to send an email through their web form and never got a response about it.

So I tell everyone this story when they ask, I do like the press, but the decap system is lacking.

JW

Sundogg1911
02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Dave,
I think That would be true if I was in my driveway working on my car and received that statement. But If I was at the Auto parts store asking advise because the starter in my Ford went (and Actually my Truck is in my Driveway right now with a dead starter.....how ironic :( ) and I asked what's the best starter for my Ford. If The Guy behind the counter tells me that He thinks I wouldt have had the problem if it were a Chevy, I wouldn't probably agree with Him, but I wouldn't think it rude. Not if I am asking for the advise.
The Guy has probably had really good luck with Chevys.
Seagiant didn't walk over to Lawyerman while He was working on His tumbler and make a comment. a question was asked and an opinion was givin. that what forums are designed for. He doesnt have to agree, and the comment wasnt "Your Tumbler is a piece of S&%t!"
"but if you find this tumbler not worth fixing (or even if you do) "buy a Dillon! It will be the last one you'll ever have to pay for!!! Think about it!"
I'm not saying I agree that the Dillon is better. (I use a Midway) but He was stating that He has had very good luck with His Dillon. I have used a Lyman 450 sizer for years. I had a question about it a while back when I was having some trouble with bevel base bullets. I recieved a comment that was somethingin the way of "Get rid of it and buy a Star and the problem will not exist" I looked into the star and guess what? I bought one and the problem went away. If I looked into the Star and decided it wasnt the best choice for me, I wouldn't have thought the comment rude. I would look at it as another option and a comment from a guy that really liked Star sizers and then I would make the decision for myself. I was the one asking for advise. And I am really happy to have recieved that response.

Springfield
02-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Lawyerman: Just for fun, plug in the tumbler and then shake it. If you can get the weight going I bet the motor will start. You will still need a new motor, but it wiil work in a pinch. Just to add to the fire, I had the large Dillon tumbler. Hated it, too noisy, and if you started it with the lid off the media went on the floor. Will stick to my 3 Lymans, one of which is over 12 years old and still going strong. I do love my Dillon 550, which is 15 years old and works great. As to upgrading your equipment, sometimes you get it right the first time. Like my 1911, don't need no upgrading.

carpetman
02-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Lawyerman----Springfield suggested you shake your tumbler to get it going. Heck don't even plug it in,just shake it for however long you want things to tumble and it will be really quiet and save you electricity. That should work equally with all brands,so there wont be any shoulda bought a Dillon. Glad I could help.

Newtire
02-24-2007, 01:17 AM
I had my Midway tumbler break the bearing housing and just wrapped a hose clamp around it and used it for another 6-months. Would not recommend that htough as one morning I was tumbling some cases and left them in for about three hours. Came in the garage & smelled this hot smell and the motor was about on fire. Lucked out & got another one at the thrift store off of a smaller vibratory machine . Never could find out where to just purchase the motor. It isn't exactly rocket science to put one in ya know.

crazy mark
02-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Go to Grainger's website and look up motors. I got my last replacement motor from them. Do't remember if I had to do any mods but it does work nice. Don't know what I did with the part number but they do have a nice selection of motors. Mark

stumpjumper
03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
lawyerman, i know that they told you it has a lifetime warranty, i just found my paperwork on mine and it says it does have a lifetime warranty. so you should let midway fix it. mine will be going back this week for a switch. dave

Dale53
03-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Springfield;
You mentioned that you hated your Dillon large vibratory tumbler because of noise. I had the same problem (bought one right after they came out). However, I carefully cleaned the lid, and installed 1/8" thick one inch wide self sticking weatherstripping (foam rubber) to the lid where it contacts the top edge of the bowl.

Problem solved (you won't believe how quiet it became). It still, after all of these years, has the same weatherstripping.

Dale53

marks40x
03-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I had a Vibrashine that did that. The bearing support plates on the motor had 4 small projections in them that hold the bearing and armature centered. Years of use wore them till the armature was no longer centered. For awhile I just turned the tumbler on and spun the fan and it would run. Finally fixed it by taking the plate off and centering the bearing and JB Welding it in place. Be careful to get the JB only on the outside of the bearing. Worked for a couple of years then the other end went bad. Fixed it and have been using it for 3 or 4 years since.

Shiloh
03-07-2007, 03:25 PM
My old Midway tumbler died. The moter just hums but won't vibrate the bowl. Where can I get a replacment motor? Any ideas?

Won't Midway replace it?? They stand behind most of there stuff. My RCBS has been back there twice in 15 years, both times fixed fro free, less my shippin it to them.

Shiloh

georgeld
03-21-2007, 02:43 AM
In '99 I bought a Berry's tumbler for $45 from my supplier of reloading stuff.
About three yrs ago it quit and I shipped it back and they replaced it with a new one, even a new lid for the extra cracked lid I included.

In Dec the motor burned up. Said to mail the unit back and they'd put a new motor in for $17. As much as I use it, well worth it for me.

I put the tape insulation on the top outside of the lid just to absorb the noise. does a decent job. but, I'm mostly deaf and live alone so p on it. Wouldn't matter to me IF it bothered my neighbors. Kinda wish it did!!

Springs here, you should have 'em all polished and loaded by now.

Good to learn Midway's got a l/t on theirs.